"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my Strength, and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Whale Evolution 1

Whale Evolution 2

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Haisten Drug Store







From Baxley, GA we moved to Trussville, AL
a suburb of Birmingham (home actually). I found
a wonderful part time job and a wonderful sitter
for my two boys. Don and Betty Haisten owned
the local independent downtown drugstore and
needed a part time helper. I loved working for
them from about 1981 until 1985. (Actually Michael
was born while I was working for them.).
Don and Betty were both Auburn grads (like myself)
and later bought Toomer's Drugs in Auburn.

I was immediately accepted at Haisten's. I loved
working there (well, I had my car stolen out of
the parking lot one day but that was hardly
the fault of anyone there! It was recovered
two weeks later in North Birmingham minus
it's wheels..). We serviced a nursing home so
I learned a great deal of compassion for those
there as I delivered the medicines. Trussville
was still a small town when we lived there. It
has since boomed and grown.

When I found myself pregnant with Amy, we also
got the news that Duane was being transferred
to Atlanta for a few years. Shortly after she
was born we moved to Duluth (suburb of
Atlanta) so next job was there.

Don Haisten passed away from liver cancer
in July of 2006. He was in his 50's and his
3 daughters, while grown, were still young.
I know his children and Betty will miss him
and I know the entire town of Trussville will
continue to miss him. Betty has sold
the store. I miss him though I had not
seen him in a while (last was at an Auburn
game at Toomer's Drugs).
War Eagle! Pax












No comments: